Recently diagnosed with a hiatal hernia. I've lost 35 lbs in 6 mo. Can only eat small amounts at a time, but feel hunger pains frequently. Is it normal?

No. Depending upon what has already been done, one would think an egd (scope down the throat) would be in order and pending findings, perhaps more testing (ct or other imaging). You may need to see a gastroenterologist and or a surgeon dealing with hiatal hernia. The weight loss is very concerning and it appears more is in order for you diagnostic wise and treatment wise. Get more evaluation. Luck.
Yes. The weight loss is good, but may not affect your hh. If your hernia is large enough that the food is getting stuck in the chest before it goes into the abdominal cavity where the stomach is supposed to be, it would explain why you can only eat small amounts. You should find out more about your hiatal hernia. If the food is getting stuck, you should talk to a surgeon about repair.