Does swelling usually accompany hives? I've been having an allergic food reaction. I get hives on my hands & feet. My foot started to swell slightly.

Dr. Danny Proffitt
Hives is a "swelling" type of reaction.
With the release of histamine, fluids go out into the tissues and cause swelling. This is often present in the hands, feet and face, especially the lips. Sounds as though you have a rather marked problem and should see someone who deals with allergy and its reactions. Testing may be available and treatment once the allergen is identified. Good luck!

Hives is a "swelling" type of reaction.
Dr. Danny Proffitt
Dr. Danny Proffitt
Dr. Steven Machtinger
Internal Medicine - Allergy & Immunology
In brief: No
The swelling associated with hives is called angioedema.
Areas of the body that can be affected by angioedema are the eyelids, lips, face, hands, feet, and genitals. Angioedema occurs in no more that 10% of episodes of hives.

In brief: No
Dr. Steven Machtinger
Dr. Steven Machtinger