How long should I wait to take breath test for h. Pylori after 7 day antibiotic treatment? (antibiotics: tetracyline, omeprazole, metronidazole)

Dr. Vivek Huilgol
Internal Medicine - Gastroenterology
In brief: A few weeks
If the antibiotics do not kill all the h pylori, they will reduce their numbers.
Having the breath test too soon may give you a false negative result (ie the test will say clear but you aren't). However I am not sure you should use the breath test at all unless there is a really good reason to do so.

In brief: A few weeks
Dr. Vivek Huilgol
Dr. Vivek Huilgol
Dr. Vivek Huilgol
How was the diagnosis made int he first instance? You could wait a couple of months and use the stoool test - mght sound 'dirty' but likely 'better for you' than the uncessary radiation of the 'breath test' - which is a nuclear medicine test...
Dr. Paul Cohen
In brief: When you are ready?
I usually judge a patients progress by their symptoms; if after the course of treatment your symptoms have subsided then there is no real need for repeating the breath test.
However, if you are being sent for it, then ask your doctor when you should go; i see no harm in undergoing the test the day or two after you have taken the last of the treatment.

In brief: When you are ready?
Dr. Paul Cohen
Dr. Paul Cohen
3 comments
Dr. Vivek Huilgol
Blood test USELESS in this scenaroi. imaging you had measles as a kid - your blod test will still be positve - but you don't have the disease... similarly, a positive antibody test, tells you nothing post-treatment.
Dr. Vivek Huilgol
Blood test USELESS in this scenario. Imagine you had measles as a kid - your blood test will still be positive - but you don't have the disease... Similarly, a positive antibody test, tells you nothing post-treatment. (typos corrected...)