What stage is a 7 mm renal cell carcinoma?

In brief: Most likely Stage I

All tumors are staged by the tumor, nodes, metastasis (staging system).
Stage i kidney tumors are less than 7 CM in size and have no evidence of lymph node as well as distant metastasis. Stage ii tumors are larger than 7 CM and have no lymph node or distant metastasis. Stage iii tumors are locally advanced. Stage IV tumors have spread to lymph nodes or other organs.

In brief: Most likely Stage I

Dr. Howard Adler
Dr. Howard Adler
David Miller

In brief: More than size

Staging is based on more than just size but also whether the cancer has spread to lymph nodes and to surrounding tissues.
However, if it is just 7mm at its widest dimension, then it may be stage one cancer. You definitely need to be having this conversation with your doctor or oncologist as soon as possible.

In brief: More than size

David Miller
David Miller
Answer assisted by David Miller, Medical Student
Dr. Pedro Hernandez
Internal Medicine - Geriatrics

In brief: Stage I renal cancer

Stage i is an early stage of kidney cancer.
The tumor measures up to 2 3/4 inches (7 centimeters). It is no bigger than a tennis ball. The cancer cells are found only in the kidney. As per medicine.Net agree with urologist.

In brief: Stage I renal cancer

Dr. Pedro Hernandez
Dr. Pedro Hernandez
Dr. Brian Lane
Urology

In brief: T1a

If truly 7 mm, it is unlikely that this cancer has spread and is stage t1a.
In fact, it is almost as likely that a renal mass this size is not a cancer at all. If it is 7 cm, this is a different story. More staging information would be needed to determine if this is localized (t1b) or locally-advanced or metastatic.

In brief: T1a

Dr. Brian Lane
Dr. Brian Lane
Dr. Paul Zhang
Internal Medicine - Oncology

In brief: Stage 1

7 mm tumor is stage 1 for kidney cancer.

In brief: Stage 1

Dr. Paul Zhang
Dr. Paul Zhang
Dr. Michael Thompson
In the TNM staging system -- Stage 1 assuming no nodal (N) or distant metastatic (M) signs of disease.
Dr. Adam Smith