Can I use manuka honey to treat my chronic sinusitis? What is the recipe for the rinse? Thank you.

Dr. Patrick Melder
ENT - Head & Neck Surgery

You can use manuka honey only if you have had surgery.
Otherwise, the irrigation will not reach the sinus cavities... It will just run through the nose. The same for any nasal rinse. If you have had surgery, the sinus cavities are open to the nasal cavity and the rinse can get into the sinuses.

Dr. Patrick Melder
Dr. Patrick Melder
2 comments
Dr. Russell Faust
Manuka honey has antibiotic properties proven in clinical trials and in the laboratory. Great stuff - I use it in nasal rinses for my own chronic sinusitis!
Dr. Cornelia Franz
Consider Craniosacral therapy. Cranial bone "misalignment" can create minor drainage problems that encourage a chronic state. CST helps drain that. It is a good adjunct to these other great suggestions. Consider stopping dairy for a time as well.
Dr. Albert Pizzo

In brief: Honey nasal rinse

You can use honey, but studies show that adding a ten percent xylitol (sugar) to the nasal/sinus rinse is more effective.
The bacteria take up the xylitol as it looks like regular sugar food to them, but xylitol weakens and kills the bacteria. When used as a mouth rinse ten percent xylitol solution also kills gum bacteria that causes cavities.

In brief: Honey nasal rinse

Dr. Albert Pizzo
Dr. Albert Pizzo
Dr. William Forsythe
Board Certified, Emergency Medicine