My elbow was moderately hyperextended in a basketball game four days ago. Now my elbow makes a mild clicking/popping when bending. What should I do?

Dr. Joseph De santi
In brief: Elbow Antics
You most likely injured the cartilage surface of this complex hinge joint and the associated inflammation is causing the clicking or popping that you appreciate.
If the joint "locks" when attempting to move it you may have torn a small portion of the cartilage and it is catching in the joint space. Apply ice and try to adequately rest the elbow. Try an antiinflammatory if needed for pain.

In brief: Elbow Antics
Dr. Joseph De santi
Dr. Joseph De santi
Dr. James Chen
Sports Medicine
In brief: See MD
Clicking or catching in the elbow after hyperextension injury raises the suspicion of loose body or cartilage injury in the joint.
However a swollen elbow bursa could also cause those symptoms. I would get evaluated by an orthopedic physician for a good exam and imaging.

In brief: See MD
Dr. James Chen
Dr. James Chen
David Miller
In brief: See a DO
It might be worth trying to find a do who has additional training in omm. Osteopathic manipulation can often be very useful in treating joint injuries, restoring proper function by restoring proper structure.

In brief: See a DO
David Miller
David Miller
Answer assisted by David Miller, Medical Student
Dr. Satinder Aggarwal
In brief: Possible chip Fx
Possible chip fracture in elbow joint may cause popping/clicking sound.
Should see your doctor for further diagnosis.

In brief: Possible chip Fx
Dr. Satinder Aggarwal
Dr. Satinder Aggarwal
Dr. Warren Strudwick
Board Certified, Sports Medicine