Is it okay for me to give my newborn breast milk and formula?

Yes. Many physician organizations have endorsed the idea that exclusive breastfeeding is the best for baby and mom for the first year after birth. But, it is more than ok to supplement with formula when you chose to. While we encourage breastfeeding, one should never feel bad or guilty for supplementing or switching to formula feedings.
Yes. Breast milk is the gold standard of infant nutrition and it is our responsibility as physicians to both promote and support healthy breastfeeding. There are many times, however, where it is not only okay to use formula, but preferred. Talk to your pediatrician if you have concerns about how your infant is feeding.