Should I circumcise my kids?

In brief: Maybe not
Babies are born complete, finished, and perfectly fine (except for the few unlucky ones with birth defects).
Circumcisions are done for religious and cultural reasons, but the procedure does permanently change the genitals, so parents should think about it and talk about it before doing anything to their perfect little newborn.

In brief: Maybe not
2 comments
Dr. Joseph Hermann
Despite my alluding to the current research in favor of circumcision, I have to admit that I lean against the procedure as my son was NOT circumcised 25 years ago. Good old fashioned hygiene can go a long way in preventing many of the problems in non-circumcised individuals. And, by the way, don't ever force the foreskin back as this can cause other problems; let it stretch out naturally.
Dr. Mandakini Patel
No need to routinely circumcise. Religious reasons are different indications but if medically necesayr it can always be done at a leter date and hopefully ur insuracne will pay for it if there is medical necessity.
Dr. George Klauber
Pediatrics - Urology
In brief: If you are circ'd
There is no need for routine circumcision.
So don't do it unless there are religious reasons, or you are circumcised and want your kids to be circumcised. Unless they they have an abnormal foreskin. A normal foreskin may not be fully retractible till age 10 years. Most foreskins can not be retracted before age 2 years.Don't you or let a nurse or dr. Try and force retraction of an adherent foreskin.

In brief: If you are circ'd
Dr. George Klauber
Dr. George Klauber
Dr. Joseph Hermann
In brief: Do the research
Current research seems to be leaning in the direction of favoring circumcision by lowering infection and cancer rates.
You should have a head to head (no pun intended) discussion with whomever would be doing the operation. Too often the procedure is performed simply as a routine, and sometimes just to make an extra buck, i'm afraid.

In brief: Do the research
Dr. Joseph Hermann
Dr. Joseph Hermann
Dr. Cindy Juster