I have primary insomnia (which runs in my family). Sleep hygiene has not solved the problem and I don't use caffeine. What should I try next?

Dr. Krishna Kumar
In brief: Insomnia Treatment
Let Wise Woman within you reflect: • Stresses causing Anxiety and Depression leading to Insomnia Consider: • Therapy and Medication by Psychiatrist • Realize and feel Wonder of Breath of Life.
• Become Captain over Stresses of Life and Insomnia, Not Victim. • Visual imagery of National Parks • Meditation

In brief: Insomnia Treatment
Dr. Krishna Kumar
Dr. Krishna Kumar
Dr. Julie Tomberlin
Cut out screen time an hour before you want to be asleep. Turn the lights down and try meditation. Meditation doesn't always work immediately, but if you are persistent in doing this nightly (there are some great guided meditations on youtube), you will be able to fall asleep easier.
Dr. Pavel Conovalciuc
In brief: Try something else
If you are willing to consider sleeping aids, there are tons of them. Plain Benadryl and like drugs (hydroxyzine or doxepin) may work for some.
Then you could try ambien, lunesta, the new "non-addictive" rozerem, (ramelteon) benzodiazepines such as temazepam (restoril) and finally sedative benzo's such as lorazepam/xanax. However, you always want to weight addictiveness vs. Benefit. Herbals - valerian root.

In brief: Try something else
Dr. Pavel Conovalciuc
Dr. Pavel Conovalciuc
2 comments
Dr. Pavel Conovalciuc
Silenor (a form of Doxepin)has recently been approved for the middle of the night awakening as well low dose Ambient that gained this indication just a couple of weeks ago.
Dr. Pavel Conovalciuc
Almost all sedative hypnotics have addictive potential,although, Silenor, being a histamine blocker might not be as bad, as we don't "addicted" as much to medicines such as Benadryl, Zyrtec or Allegra used for allergies. Ambient might be somewhat addictive, but then you need to weigh what's worse - to live w/insomnia or to take a medication. This may be a hard choice sometimes, I bet.
Dr. Bernard Seif
Clinical Psychology
In brief: Insomnia
In addition to the good advice given and the things you have tried, consider melatonin if not tried, and clinical hypnosis.
See www.asch.net for licensed referrals. Peace and good health.

In brief: Insomnia
Dr. Bernard Seif
Dr. Bernard Seif
Dr. Shah Nawaz
In brief: Relaxation
Relaxation / yoga no chocolate in evening not even decaff 6 hours before sleep if no success may be sleep study / option of sleeping medication to adjust sleep cycle.

In brief: Relaxation
Dr. Shah Nawaz
Dr. Shah Nawaz
Dr. Ronald Achong
Great answer. I agree 100%
Dr. Vicken Poochikian