Considering I must have one or the other, is the quality of life considered better having an ileostomy or a colostomy?

Dr. Vivek Huilgol
Internal Medicine - Gastroenterology

In brief: Colostomy better

In terms of ease of management the colostomy is probably better. The cautionary note, however, is that it depends why you're getting the surgery.
If removing all the colon saves you from ongoing surveillance and possible surgery later in life that may be preferable. Also - are there fertility ramifications?I would definitely sit down with the surgeon, take notes, and carefully explore pros & cons.

In brief: Colostomy better

Dr. Vivek Huilgol
Dr. Vivek Huilgol
Dr. Joseph De Santi

In brief: Quality vs Quantity

An ileostomy implies complete removal of the large intestine (colon).
A colostomy implies only partial removal. Since the primary function of the colon is water resorption and absorption of vitamin k and several b vitamins, complete removal could result in some nutrition issues in addition to chronic liquid stools. A colostomy may avoid these issues to some degree. Both require similar care.

In brief: Quality vs Quantity

Dr. Joseph De Santi
Dr. Joseph De Santi
Dr. Crystal Twynham
Board Certified, Surgery