Should you drink alcohol if you have stage 4 colon cancer?

Dr. Devon Webster
Internal Medicine - Oncology
In brief: It's up to you
Your cancer is shortening your life.
If you find alcohol enjoyable, and you would like to have some, i don't see a reason to deprive yourself. Just make sure your doctor knows and gives you some guidelines about how much is safe, as it could affect how your body metabolizes other medications you are taking. Drinking alcohol in moderation will not change your prognosis.

In brief: It's up to you
Your cancer is shortening your life.
Dr. Devon Webster
Dr. Devon Webster
Dr. Michael Thompson
Internal Medicine - Hematology & Oncology
In brief: Depends
If you are on chemotherapy - no.
If not and you wish to, see dr. Websters answer. Alcohol is metabolized by the liver and could effect the metabolism of other drugs you are on including chemotherapy.

In brief: Depends
If you are on chemotherapy - no.
Dr. Michael Thompson
Dr. Michael Thompson
Dr. Thomas Chen
In brief: Probably not
In general, if you shouldn't be doing something when you don't have cancer, you shouldn't do something when you do have cancer. I don't know of any benefical effects of alcohol.
Many chemotherapy treatments put stress on the liver which will be compounded by alcohol. Also, colon cancer tends to metastasize to liver, so why risk further liver damage?

In brief: Probably not
Dr. Thomas Chen
Dr. Thomas Chen
Dr. Shelby Terstriep
I do not think a small amount of alcohol 1 drink per day or less would harmful though.
Dr. Crystal Twynham
Board Certified, Surgery