My uncle has been identified with non small cell lung cancer and it is metastases (4th stage). He is just 48 year old. Is there any cure?

Dr. Paul Zhang
Internal Medicine - Oncology

In brief: Most time no cure fo

I am so sorry to hear this bad news.
I have several patients who were diagnosed stage 4 lung cancer in their 40s, althought most our patients are 60-80s. In aptients with lung cancer who are young or never smoked, the likelihood of having a particularly gene mutation is high, so it is critical to have the patient's gene checked. If certain gene mutation idenfied, a tailored tgerapy can be given.

In brief: Most time no cure fo

I am so sorry to hear this bad news.
Dr. Paul Zhang
Dr. Paul Zhang
Dr. Michael Thompson
The cure rate for stage IV (metastatic) NSCLC is very low. In addition to the EGFR mutation Dr. Zhang alluded to testing for, we now have additional molecular biomarkers such as the anaplastic lymphoma kinase (ALK) gene (Tx: crizotinib). These aren't cures, but are potentially less toxic therapy that can be considered. Good luck.
Dr. Pavel Conovalciuc

In brief: Hm....

Medically, i doubt he will do well with distant metastasis (stage 4).
Usually, the prognosis is pretty grave. Quality of life on chemotherapy will be very poor. You may explore your options with your oncologist, though.

In brief: Hm....

Dr. Pavel Conovalciuc
Dr. Pavel Conovalciuc
Dr. Andrew Turrisi
Radiation Oncology

In brief: Stage tells a part

Of the story, but robustness (performance status) weight loss, and bulk of distant disease and its location are key.
Tackling the systemic issue is usually not curative, but especially if he is not a smoker, some very interesting an less toxic options. Intgrating symptom management early adds to quality and comfort. Find good doctors that work together (chem/surg/radonc/pal care.).

In brief: Stage tells a part

Dr. Andrew Turrisi
Dr. Andrew Turrisi
Dr. Thomas Chen

In brief: Probably not

Each patient is different.
We don't typically think of stage 4 lung cancer as "curable". Long-term survival has been anecdotally reported but i've not seen any. Your uncle's young age may be in his favor but it really depends on the situation.

In brief: Probably not

Each patient is different.
Dr. Thomas Chen
Dr. Thomas Chen
Dr. Vicken Poochikian