The Valtrex (valacyclovir) prescription for the treatment of my cold sores is1 gm. I took it twice for one day at an interval of 12 hours. Istill have a big enough cold sore on my lip. Should i continuetaking it?

Dr. Martin Raff
Internal Medicine - Infectious Disease

In brief: May not be Herpes

Valtrex (valacyclovir) will not treat anything other than herpes simplex infection, and if not started immediately after onset may take a while to be effective, if at all.

In brief: May not be Herpes

Dr. Dominic Riganotti
Internal Medicine - Infectious Disease

In brief: Wrong dosage

Its 2 grams twice a day for one day actually.

In brief: Wrong dosage

Dr. Larry Lutwick
Internal Medicine - Infectious Disease

In brief: One day treatment

Is not long enough. Usually 5-7 day rx should do the job.

In brief: One day treatment

Dr. Gary Sandler
Dentistry

In brief: Early application!

That's a typical prescription.
It works best when taken at the first sign of the outbreak. It is not a miracle drug. It merely helps the sores heal faster, keeps new sores from forming, and decreases pain/itching. This medication may also help reduce how long pain remains after the sores heal.

In brief: Early application!

That's a typical prescription.
Dr. Adam Levy