I catch colds often. I am told it mostly allergies that develop into cold like symptoms. It is recommended that I take omnaris + zyrtec (cetirizine). Opinions?

Dr. Patrick Melder
ENT - Head & Neck Surgery
In brief: Think sinusitis
This cold be allergy.
If so omaris and zyrtec (cetirizine) are good options. Singular is another medication to consider. I would also be thinking about recurrent or chronic sinusitis... See you local ENT or an allergist. You may need a ct of the sinuses.

In brief: Think sinusitis
This cold be allergy.
Dr. Patrick Melder
Dr. Patrick Melder
Dr. Katharine Garnier
In brief: Maybe
People often develop allergies that mimic cold symptoms, there are some natural ways to help combat that.
First, you might consider finding out what you are allergic to..Like dust mites, trees, pets etc. Then you can try to limit your exposure to them, your doctor can help you with tips. Also, use a saline spray to wash your nasal passages frequently, that will humidify you sinuses, wash out the.

In brief: Maybe
Dr. Katharine Garnier
Dr. Katharine Garnier
2 comments
Dr. Katharine Garnier
offending allergens and clean out mucus, helping to keep your nose and sinuses healthy! The medicines you mentioned can be helpful, but you may not need both, you would have to see. If you continue to have trouble, you should definitely get tested for your allergies, that way you know exactly what you are dealing with! Your doctor can help!
Dr. Michael P Vaughn
Viral infections are often misdiagnosed as allergies; only objective allergy testing by blood test or skin testing will confirm your diagnosis. Failure to repond to "allergy ' medications is often a good indicator that allergies are not the problem. May people carry low-grade sinus infections that mimic allergy.
Dr. Peter Kurzweil