I have problems passing stool lately, i can't help but strain. Now, I have very sharp pain in my left hip/thigh down to my knee. Could it be nerves?

In brief: Maybe nerve pain

When a person strains to push out stool, the increased pressure can translate to pressure at the nerve roots leaving the spinal cord.
A primary care doctor, a gastrointestinal doctor, and a neurologist (or a physical medicine & rehabilitation doctor) are the ones that can evaluate to see where the problems are coming from and decide if treatment is needed.

In brief: Maybe nerve pain

Dr. Warren Strudwick
Board Certified, Sports Medicine