Does using purified sea salt water, several times a day, benefit healing wounds? This specifically concerns new piercings.

Dr. Scott Bolhack
Wound care

In brief: Sea water

No matter how long I have been in wound care, there always seems to be an endless stream of new products and recommendations.
I think that attention to the conditions under which the piercings are done (sterility of tools, for example) requires more due diligence than dealing with problems afterwards. We use sterile Normal Saline all of the time to wash wounds so if it is sterile, i see no issue.

In brief: Sea water

Dr. Scott Bolhack
Dr. Scott Bolhack
Dr. Scott Bolhack
Well, I am relieved about the conditions. With this information in mind, using sterile saline solution from the local pharmacy appears to offer equal advantage to a more expensive product touted as 'natural' by that vendor. Sterile is sterile, though.
Dr. Ronald Shelton
Dermatology

In brief: Saline wound clean

Saline solution is often used to keep wounds moist as this is proven to help heal wound more quickly, rather than allowing them to be open and "get oxygen" which only serves to dry the wound out and get a scab that retards healing and makes it more uncomfortable.
The body's defenses allow a moist wound to heal better and saline is similar to the normal body's fluids.

In brief: Saline wound clean

Dr. Ronald Shelton
Dr. Ronald Shelton