My son was recommeded nebulizer - albuterol because of congestion. Does frequent congestion mean he could be pre- disposed to asthma?

Dr. Sari Nabulsi
In brief: Congestion
Congestion could be upper airway or lower airway congestion.
If lower airway congestion is associated with wheezing, it could indicate later development of asthma.

In brief: Congestion
Dr. Sari Nabulsi
Dr. Sari Nabulsi
Dr. Jay Park
In brief: Could be
Making a diagnosis of asthma especially in young children can be tricky unless they present with recurrent wheezing and shortness of breath.
Prolonged cough or frequent chest congestion could be an atypical manifestation of relatively mild asthma. I would recommend using albuterol inhalation, 4 times a day faithfully for a few days. Good response to the treatment confirms the suspicion.

In brief: Could be
Dr. Jay Park
Dr. Jay Park
Dr. Ratna Dhingra
In brief: Could be
FREQUENT CONGESTION AND WHEEZING COULD BE AN INDICATION OF BRONCHIAL REACTIVITY AND ASTHMA.
Watch for signs of wheezing.

In brief: Could be
Watch for signs of wheezing.
Dr. Ratna Dhingra
Dr. Ratna Dhingra
Dr. William Forsythe
Board Certified, Emergency Medicine