I think I have polyps in my nose will a steroid based spray remove them?

David Miller

In brief: Nope

You need to be evaluated by a ear, nose and throat doc.
If you indeed have nasal polyps, they need to be surgically removed.

In brief: Nope

David Miller
David Miller
Answer assisted by David Miller, Medical Student
Dr. David Astrachan
ENT - Head & Neck Surgery

In brief: Can you smell?

If you have a good sense of smell and taste chances are that you don't have significant nasal polyps.
If your sense of smell and taste are gone or diminished polyps are likely. Nasal steroids reduce inflammation and by doing so they reduce polyps which are strongly associated with nasal inflammation. It is a good first step. An ENT doctor is easily able to make the diagnosis by looking.

In brief: Can you smell?

Dr. David Astrachan
Dr. David Astrachan
Dr. Farhad Sigari
ENT - Head & Neck Surgery

In brief: Polyps

Inflammatory polyps can respond to a steroid base spray (decrease in size) but it is not often that they will disappear completely b/c the polyp is usually a manifestation of a more global inflammatory condition.
For some patients, the response is adequate for others, surgery is indicated. Be sure to have the polyp evaluated, if it is only on one side, a biopsy is often indicated.

In brief: Polyps

Dr. Farhad Sigari
Dr. Farhad Sigari
Dr. Pavel Conovalciuc

In brief: Possibly

Although, a steroid spray will probably not remove your polyps completely, it may help them shrink them significantly.
It may be a good starting point option or an option for those who don't want to proceed with surgery or in whom surgery is contraindicated. I would strongly suggest neti pot nasal flushing along with the steroid spray to prevent nose bleeds and dryness.

In brief: Possibly

Dr. Pavel Conovalciuc
Dr. Pavel Conovalciuc
Dr. Albert Pizzo

In brief: Nasal polyps

No. It may shrink them some but to get rid of them completely it usually requires surgery.

In brief: Nasal polyps

Dr. Albert Pizzo
Dr. Albert Pizzo
Dr. Jack Hinkle