I think my child has nursemaid's elbow. Should I take him to the er?

Dr. Lisa Roberts
In brief: Your doc or UC is ok
Nursemaid's elbow is a partial dislocation of the radial head from the joint socket.
It is easily reducible by a trained medical professional, however the er may not be necessary. If it's after hours and you have a local urgent care nearby that sees children, that's a good option. During the day, your pediatrician is the best person to take care of it and it only takes a few seconds to treat!

In brief: Your doc or UC is ok
Dr. Lisa Roberts
Dr. Lisa Roberts
Dr. Sari Nabulsi
In brief: Nursemaid elbow
Definitely, you need to take him. It has to be reduced because it can cause swelling and more pain.

In brief: Nursemaid elbow
Dr. Sari Nabulsi
Dr. Sari Nabulsi
Dr. Alex Blum
In brief: Take to pediatrician
Nursemaid elbow is usual a result from pulling on the child's elbow.
This can result in exquisit pain and the child usual holds the arm flexed at 90 degrees and cradled in the other hand. Though the problem is a simple dislodging of the bone that is stuck on a ligament, it's a good idea to have your child's pediatrician confirm that there's no concern for an underlying fracture (broken bone).

In brief: Take to pediatrician
Dr. Alex Blum
Dr. Alex Blum