What are possible causes for a one sided large, soft, non tender swelling palpable under the jaw or in the back of the throat? No fever, rash, lesion

Dr. Geoffrey Rutledge
In brief: Not tumor
In addition to dr. Zapanta's explanations, would comment that tumors are hard, not soft (lymphoma typically ruber-hard, carcinoma just hard).
Inflammation secondary to infection may be the most common cause if its tender...

In brief: Not tumor
Dr. Geoffrey Rutledge
Dr. Geoffrey Rutledge
Dr. Phil Zapanta
ENT - Head & Neck Surgery
In brief: Several things. . .
If you are talking about swelling under the jaw: salivary gland stone, salivary gland tumor, inflammatory lymph node, cyst, lipoma.
I am not sure what you mean by the back of the throat but possible swellings back there would include: tonsil edema, tonsil inflammation, fluid collection due to an abscess (but there should be pain) or noninflammatory causes.

In brief: Several things. . .
Dr. Phil Zapanta
Dr. Phil Zapanta
2 comments
Dr. Phil Zapanta
If only one tonsil is enlarged (non-painful) and you also have an enlarged "soft node" under your jaw on the same side, I recommend that you see an ENT soon. This could be just an infection but I am also worried about a cancer. It is better to get this diagnosis checked out first and then you can worry about what it else it could be.
Dr. Phil Zapanta
Hardness could accompany enlargement but not all the time.