I have a sore throat and fever, should I see a doctor?

Dr. Phil Zapanta
ENT - Head & Neck Surgery

In brief: Maybe

If you have these symptoms for only several days, it is likely viral.
The treatment of choice would be supportive: plenty of hydration (not including caffeine), rest, tylenol (acetaminophen) or Motrin (for pain and fever relief), diet as tolerated. If you don't have much improvement, and you can't tolerate liquids to the point of dehydration, you should see your doctor.

In brief: Maybe

Dr. Phil Zapanta
Dr. Phil Zapanta
Dr. David Astrachan
ENT - Head & Neck Surgery

In brief: Depends on severity

Sore throats come in all shapes and sizes from a minor annoyance to life threatening.
Fortunately most are just annoying. If your throat is so sore that you are having trouble swallowing food or liquid that is worth a trip to the doctor. If you are also having trouble breathing as well you should go to the emergency room.

In brief: Depends on severity

Dr. David Astrachan
Dr. David Astrachan