How come I get heartburn?

Acid. The acid from your stomach irritates your esophagus (the tube that goes from your stomach to your throat) this can cause heartburn and chest pain. The stomach has a special lining that protects it unless there is an ulcer.
Different causes. Heartburn can be triggered by caffeine (coffee, tea, soda, chocolate), alcohol, tobacco, mints, citrus foods and sometimes spicy food. It can also occur by laying down too soon after eating. Monitor your intake to identify triggers & then avoid/limit them. Stay upright for about 2 hrs after eating. Talk with your doctor about treatment options too.