What is air hunger?

Dr. Aaron Milstone
Internal Medicine - Pulmonology

In brief: Shortness of breath

Air hunger occurs when the patient is working hard to breath and using extra muscles to do so (ie neck muscles or abdominal muscles).
Another term would be increased work of breathing.

In brief: Shortness of breath

Dr. Aaron Milstone
Dr. Aaron Milstone
Dr. Pavel Conovalciuc

In brief: Benign

Unless you have a definite lung and/or heart problem, air hunger has no underlying anatomical cause.
It's a disregulation at the level of the respiratory center in the brain that is poorly understood. There may be excess lack of co2 in the blood that baths the center that causes this. I recommend taking slow deep breaths through your nose. Sometimes breathing in to a sac might be of help. No worry.

In brief: Benign

Dr. Pavel Conovalciuc
Dr. Pavel Conovalciuc
Dr. Adam Smith