I've stopped drinking alcohol on my own for five weeks now .Am i still in danger of going back to it?

Dr. Pamela Pappas

In brief: Ongoing support

Without ongoing support from a community who knows the ropes of alcoholism and alcohol abuse, you could be in danger of a relapse.
This is different from being in alcohol withdrawal. Sustaining behavioral change can be difficult, and you'll need to develop other ways of coping with life than drinking if you want to be "out of danger." aa is there for you if you're willing. http://www.aa.org.

In brief: Ongoing support

Dr. Pamela Pappas
Dr. Pamela Pappas
Dr. Randy Baker
Holistic Medicine

In brief: Decreasing danger

Congratulations on stopping! if you are alcoholic you will always be in some danger of a relapse, though it will decrease over time.
As dr. Pappas said, social support is crucial. Aa works for many. Consider seeing a counselor who specializes in alcohol issues. It helps if you don't smoke & have a healthy diet with minimal sugar & caffeine. Meditation & other stress-reduction techniques help too!

In brief: Decreasing danger

Dr. Randy Baker
Dr. Randy Baker
2 comments
Dr. Alan Wartenberg
I don't know if the above illustration has been specifically chosen, but I do not believe it should be looked at as an endorsement. There is no "cure," vitamin or otherwise - it is a complex biobehavioral issue with more than one cause (WAYYYY more) and certainly more than one solution.......
Dr. Randy Baker
I completely agree Dr. Wartenberg that there is no "cure" (as I said in my comment, alchoholics are "always in some danger" of relapse and it is a complex multifactorial biobehavioiral issue. However, I feel the current treatment paradigm is primarily based on behavioral approaches and neglects the physiological aspects of this illness. I have found that the nutrition-based approach advocated by Dr. Hoffer is a very useful component of treating this disease. Even though the title of this book is over-simplistic, it provides valuable information. Bill W, the founder of AA, was a strong advocate of Dr. Hoffer's approach.
Dr. Alan Wartenberg
Addiction Medicine

In brief: Depends

You are no longer in any danger of any kind of withdrawal.
But you should see a doctor or other provider for a full health assessment, to see if any physical damage may have been done. Agree fully with those below that ongoing support, which may include aa. I would point out, though, that smart recovery is another self-help group, and there are many professionally facilitated groups using cbt &tc.

In brief: Depends

Dr. Alan Wartenberg
Dr. Alan Wartenberg
Dr. Emad Tadros

In brief: Much safer

5 weeks, you are definitely out of any danger zone.
.. However, if you got to this point of question? Lot of work needs to be done with recovery rehab... Groups aa etc.... If you ignore this, you are not going to be good news if you were getting addicted to alcohol. You know you best and you are your best docotr here.

In brief: Much safer

Dr. Emad Tadros
Dr. Emad Tadros
Dr. Jane Van Dis