My 2 year old is having problems with a "bm." it is too big to come out. I can see it and I need to know what to do. She says it hurts and can't sit d?

Dr. Judy Orton
In brief: Dietary assessment
In addition, this may be just a one time occurrence but she is likely to have some withholding symptoms for a while as she'll remember that it hurts.
Assess her diet. Look at my health guide for further information.

In brief: Dietary assessment
Dr. Judy Orton
Dr. Judy Orton
Dr. Judy Orton
In brief: Gentle extraction
Using a finger (preferably gloved if you have one) try to gently extract the stool but do not put your finger in past the first knuckle.
Another alternative is a warm bath and encourage her to relax and expel in the bathtub. You could also try liberally lubricating with vaseline around the anus before either of the above. Generally laxatives or suppositories don't work at this point.

In brief: Gentle extraction
Dr. Judy Orton
Dr. Judy Orton
Dr. Cindy Juster