Should I take vitamin d supplement?

Dr. Katharine Garnier
In brief: Maybe
Recently we have realized how important vitamin d is and how many people are deficient.
We require sunlight to "activate" the vitamin d we get in foods, some people don't get enough in food anyway. Check with your doctor, they can measure your vitamin d level. Most people can take 1000 iu daily with no risk of any potential toxicity so i recommend adding that amount daily to most of my patients.

In brief: Maybe
Dr. Katharine Garnier
Dr. Katharine Garnier
Dr. Albert Pizzo
I agree with Dr. Garnier. Most adults need more like 3000 IU or more per day. Best is to get a blood test and take enough Vitamin D-3 to be optimal, to get blood test above 50 but below 100. I take 12,000 IU per day (twelve thousand).
Dr. James Cunnar
In brief: Sure
There is a lot of good data coming out about the health benefits of vitamin d supplementation.
As we spend less time out in the sun, especially in the winter months, our stores decrease. In addition, it is difficult to get a full days worth of vit. D in our diet. 1000-2000 iu daily should suffice.

In brief: Sure
Dr. James Cunnar
Dr. James Cunnar
Dr. Albert Pizzo
I agree with Dr. Cheng. Studies indicate that vitamin D is a major deficiency in the USA public, because lack of sunshine on our skin, use of sunblockers etc. Some people require a much higher dose of Vitamin D.Best to have a blood test and take enough vitamin D-3 to stay in optimal range of 50-80.Children and adults all shoul get enough vitamin D-3 to stay healthy.
Dr. Jack Hinkle