I have had two miscarriages and am about to turn 31. I have been told I have pcod. Is there any hope for my husband and I to have a baby?

Dr. Pavel Conovalciuc
I believe you meant pcos (polycystic ovary syndrome - at least is known commonly by this name vs.
Pcod). Women with this syndrome still have a chance of conceiving a baby especially given the fact you've had 2 prior pregnancies, although, resulting in miscarriage. Losing weight if you are overweight, would help. Metformin has shown promise. Clomid (clomiphene) is known to be used for ovulation induction.

Dr. Pavel Conovalciuc
Dr. Pavel Conovalciuc
2 comments
Dr. Christopher Powers
I would add only that women with PCOS frequently exhibit hirsutism (excessive hairiness on lips chest, abdomen) and they tend to be insulin resistant ( which is why meteor in can have a helpful role). Their biggest perceived problem is anovulation (don't ovulate), making it very hard to get pregnant. There are good therapies, however, so see a good ObGyn..
Dr. Donald Hazlett
From a Psychiatric perspective it's important when treating young female children and adolecents for behavior disorders and bipolar disorders to avoid divalproex Na (depakote) since the issue of polycystic ovaries is a possible side effect of that medication. Oddly enough, accelerated hair loss is also a side effect of depakote.
Dr. Collin Smikle
In brief: PCOS and pregnancy
Some patients with pcos do have a higher chance of miscarriages.
Still, with treatment, you and your husband have a very good chance of having the family you want. Still, you should get help from a provider who specializes in treating patients with pcos so that you can conceive and deliver successfully.

In brief: PCOS and pregnancy
Dr. Collin Smikle
Dr. Collin Smikle
Dr. Cindy Juster