I have trickotillomania and its starting to get out of control....Should I try counsuling before medication?

Dr. Allen Fein

In brief: Counselling & Meds

Pulling/plucking hairs is a common problem, which while not usually leading to bodily harm, can be time consuming and distracting from other priorities in life.
The condition is considered one of compulsion, where one is compelled to do something again and again. This is considered a neurosis & may be helped by psychotherapy and medication, specifically the antidepressant family of medications.

In brief: Counselling & Meds

Dr. Allen Fein
Dr. Allen Fein
Dr. Donald Hazlett

In brief: Start counseling

That may help. My experience however has been if the trichotillomania is significant medication is going to be helpful sooner. In most cases of this obsessive compulsion Prozac (fluoxetine) works well.
On occasion it is so severe that other serotonergic antidepressants are added. Sometimes it's so severe that it borders on delusional. Newer antipsychotics then are needed. Deal with it early, treatment's easier.

In brief: Start counseling

Dr. Donald Hazlett
Dr. Donald Hazlett