My doctor says I might have neuroma in my prescription foot. Should I have surgery ?

Dr. Oliver Wang
Podiatry

In brief: Depends

Have you tried and exhausted conservative treatment like physical therapy, orthotics, cortisone injections, shoe modification, sclerosing injections.
If you have and you still have pain and feel a nodularity in the nerve than yes you may need surgery. My patients usually have 6 months of conservative therapy before i consider surgery.

In brief: Depends

Dr. Oliver Wang
Dr. Oliver Wang
Dr. David Moats
Podiatry

In brief: MLS Laser

Another conservative treatment includes the MLS Laser .
This is a painless office treatment which can include 10 treatment during a months time and has shown some good results in our office.

In brief: MLS Laser

Dr. David Moats
Dr. David Moats

In brief: Surgery can help

Surgery is indicated when injections and avoiding tight shoes is not successful in relieving the pain.

In brief: Surgery can help

Dr. Angelo Mitsos
Dr. Angelo Mitsos
Dr. Danny Proffitt

In brief: Not necessarily

You may get by with observation and padding and temporary pain medication.
You may have to have the neuroma injected with a stroid and local anesthetic. There are other options before going straight to surgery. See a reputable orthopedist, foot and ankly trained orthopedist or reputable podiatrist. Seek a second opinion and a third opinion if necessary. This is a nuissance condition usually.

In brief: Not necessarily

Dr. Danny Proffitt
Dr. Danny Proffitt