How do I know if I have walking pneumonia ?

Justin Fuehrer
Emergency Medicine

In brief: See a doctor

Walking pneumonia presents in a different manner and has a different causative organism than typical pneumonia.
Patients still usually feel short of breath, but the fever, general poor feeling, and other symptoms are more gradual in onset and can last longer. The only real way to be certain and get adequate treatment is to see a physician in order to check bloodwork as well as a chest xray.

In brief: See a doctor

Justin Fuehrer
Justin Fuehrer
Answer assisted by Justin Fuehrer, Medical Student
Dr. Allen Fein

In brief: Red Flag Symptons

The red flag symptoms of walking pneumonia are well known to me, having had now three such pneumonias personally.
Cough that is worse that that typically found with a simple cold; more sputum and more colorful than usual; chest pain with breathing; high fevers and chills; not feeling like one is getting a full breath, and especially shortness of breath on exertion. Stethoscope exam & chest w-ray.

In brief: Red Flag Symptons

Dr. Allen Fein
Dr. Allen Fein
Dr. Brian Bezack
Pediatrics - Pulmonology

In brief: You can get tested

Walking pneumonia is a term used to describe a condition caused by a bacteria called mycoplasma pneumoniae.
The bacteria is best identified through blood testing for antibodies to the organism. However, in most cases, the diagnosis is made clinically and treated with azithromycin.

In brief: You can get tested

Dr. Brian Bezack
Dr. Brian Bezack