I really want to breastfeed my newborn but im scared im going to want to stop because it hurts too much. What can I do to prevent this from happening?

Dr. Judy Orton
In brief: Lactation specialist
Speak with a lactation specialist or take a breastfeeding class before delivery.
Most hospital obstetric and pediatric units offer classes free or for a minimal charge for prospective parents. Getting the baby to breast within the first hour after birth with your nurse assisting to achieve a proper latch will prevent pain. Improper latch causes pain - get immediate help if that occurs.

In brief: Lactation specialist
Dr. Judy Orton
Dr. Judy Orton
Dr. Michael Blum
In brief: Support groups
Congratulations for wanting to breast feed your baby.
It is like learning to ride a bicycle. You are going to fall off and hurt yourself, but you get back on the bike and lo and behold you are riding your bike. So start the breast feeding, you will have some rough patches, but you both will get right back on and be successful. Remember, there are a lot of folks to support you! go for it :-).

In brief: Support groups
Dr. Michael Blum
Dr. Michael Blum
Dr. Shontae Buffington