Told I need a knee replacement. What are my options?

Dr. Amir Khan
Sports Medicine
In brief: Many
Understand your problem and get a second opinion.
Discuss options such as injections (steroid vs non-steroid), arthroscopy, osteotomy, and partial knee replacement vs total knee replacement. Other less likely option may include cartilage transplantation.

In brief: Many
Dr. Amir Khan
Dr. Amir Khan
Dr. Ralph Salvagno
Orthopedic Surgery
In brief: Need?
The decision to proceed with knee replacement should be based on an accurate history, physical exam and x-rays.
If conservative measures like activity modification. Therapy, weight loss, medications and injections have not been helpful, you should consider tkr if the pain interferes with things you have to do or things you want to do. It's about quality of life.

In brief: Need?
Dr. Ralph Salvagno
Dr. Ralph Salvagno
Dr. Thomas Kennedy
Orthopedic Surgery
In brief: Good advice
There are too many unknown variables to answer your question in this format.
The best advice i can give you is to discuss the options with an orthopaedic surgeon you trust. If you have seen an orthopaedic surgeon and don't feel comfortable then seek a second opinion from a surgeon with a good reputation who performs tka and/or one who is referred to you by a satisfied patient.

In brief: Good advice
Dr. Thomas Kennedy
Dr. Thomas Kennedy
Dr. Mitchell Wagner
Orthopedic Surgery - Reconstruction
In brief: Visionaire system
I am currently using the visionaire custom knee replacement for most of my patients which i feel provides you with the most sophisticated replacement surgery available today.

In brief: Visionaire system
Dr. Mitchell Wagner
Dr. Mitchell Wagner
Dr. Scott m Smith
Orthopedic Surgery - Reconstruction
In brief: Pills or operation
1) observe for awhile, decision is based on function and pain.
It you are happy and functioning well, no treatment. 2) medicaitons analgesics or anti-inflammatories; help with the pain but do not change the function. They lose their efficacy with time 3) injections cortisone of visco supplementation give pretty good temporary relief. 4) joint replacement alleviates pain and increases functio.

In brief: Pills or operation
Dr. Scott m Smith
Dr. Scott m Smith
Dr. Kevin Stone
Sports Medicine
In brief: Biologic Knee Joint
It is possible to replace the meniscus cartilage and perform a stem cell paste graft for many patients who have been told they need a knee replacement.
This is called a biologic knee replacement.

In brief: Biologic Knee Joint
Dr. Kevin Stone
Dr. Kevin Stone
Dr. Robert Cusick
Orthopedic Surgery - Reconstruction
In brief: Depends...
Hopefully, if your surgeon has told you that a knee replacement is necessary, you have exhausted all other treatments.
Activity modification, nsaid's like ibuprofen, injection therapy with steroids(commonly referred to as cortisone), and lubricating-type shots(rooster comb) should be ineffective before considering surgery. Don't let somenone tell you when you are ready, you will know.

In brief: Depends...
Dr. Robert Cusick
Dr. Robert Cusick
Dr. Arnon Rubin