I've witnessed a mother sucking out the snot from their babies plugged nose.  is this a safe practice?

Dr. James Cunnar

As long as it is done gently, bulb suctioning is a common and safe practice.
Babies usually don't like it though.

Babies usually don't like it though.
Dr. James Cunnar
Dr. James Cunnar

In brief: Necesary treatment

Babies have to tilt their neck back in an uncomfortable position to mouth breathe & bypass a plugged nose.
By 6mo or so most grow enough neck that the tilt is not needed. Tiny nasal passages are responsible for 95% of a new babies air movement & removal of nasal mucous by saline wash &or suction is a necessary & normal part of baby care.Agressive suction can cause bleeding, lots of saline doesn't.

In brief: Necesary treatment

Dr. David Astrachan
ENT - Head & Neck Surgery

In brief: I don't like it

I am not a fan of this at all as i worry that angering the nose will just increase mucous production.
If the nose is so congested and hyper secreting mucous i would rather treat the cause and not the symptom.

In brief: I don't like it

Dr. David Astrachan
Dr. David Astrachan
Dr. Cindy Juster