I played basketball on an unhealed sprained ankle. What damages have I done to my ankle and what can I do about it now.?

Dr. Thomas Deberardino
Orthopedic Surgery
In brief: PTx- motion/strength
You are not the 1st nor last person to run/jump too early on an injured ankle.
Thankfully the vast majority of ankle sprains do resolve with physical therapy and nonop management. It is still important to work on regaling motion, strength, and good balance. Formal physical therapy is certainly a reasonable way to try and maximize your rehabilitation potential. Only time will tell the damage done.

In brief: PTx- motion/strength
Dr. Thomas Deberardino
Dr. Thomas Deberardino
Dr. Maritza Baez
In brief: More injury
If your sprain has not fully healed, doing strenuous exercise like basketball can damage it even further, even possibly causing permanent damage.
If it has been more than six weeks and you still have pain, see your doctor. You should not exercise until you are completely pain free and have full range of motion of your ankle.

In brief: More injury
Dr. Maritza Baez
Dr. Maritza Baez
Dr. William Forsythe
Board Certified, Emergency Medicine