I get severe migraines during my period. They lasts for 2-4 days and cause nausea and confusion. Is this normal? I'm 47, they began a few yrs ago.

Dr. R. Wayne Inzer

In brief: Common, not Normal

"menstral migraines" may be caused by the extreme fluctuations of normal menstral hormones or by overproduction of a substace in the body called prostaglandins.
The first is often helped by balancing hormones, the second is helped by preventing production of the prostaglandin by nsaid's, ibuprofen, naproxen, etc. A further review of history and symptoms may help decide.

In brief: Common, not Normal

Dr. Monica Popov

In brief: Common

It is not uncommon for women to have a worsening of or new onset of migraines during the peri-menopausal period.
It is likely related to hormonal fluctuations. There are several hormonal and non-hormonal options that may be helpful to improve your symptoms. Consider seeing a health care provider.

In brief: Common

Dr. Dennis Higginbotham