How long do the physiological effects of 6 months of depression/anxiety last? My memory isn't as good as it was, and it's difficult being creative.

Dr. Satinder Aggarwal

In brief: Not too long

Once depression is resolved most of predepression status will return to base line.

In brief: Not too long

Dr. Satinder Aggarwal
Dr. Satinder Aggarwal
Dr. James Fox

In brief: Sometimes longer

It depends how many episodes of depression you've had.
Depression fundamentally alters brain structure. The more bouts of depression one has, the more likely they are to develop dementia and at a younger age. I'm not saying you are developing dementia, but I am saying that it is plausible that depression can have lasting effects on memory even after you are in remission.

In brief: Sometimes longer

Dr. James Fox
Dr. James Fox