To function during my period I have to take 4 to 6 Advil (ibuprofen) every 4 hours for cramps. What other solutions are there.?

Birth Control Pills. The inside lining of your uterus grows in response to female hormones, and sloughs during a period releasing prostaglandin hormones. They make your muscular uterine walls contract. Drugs like Ibuprofen (max. 2400 mg/day) block production & reduce pain; best taken @ earliest onset of cramps. Also birth control pills reduce growth of the lining, hence lessen cramps too. Heating pad on tummy too.
Painful menses . A really good thing to try is to start taking Ibuprofen 2-3 days before your period starts. This strategy reduces the effects of what are called: prostaglandins, which is released by the uterus during menses. You may notice a difference taking early. Discuss with your doctor.
Choices. Agree with dr. K and c. Mirena (levonorgestrel) iud is another option to birth control pills [thins our uterus lining, so less cramping]. What about yoga and acupuncture/acupressure? No good studies recommending yoga or acupuncture/acupressure yet but some women have found some relief. Hope you find a way to feel better each cycle.
See your doctor. Maximum dose of advil (ibuprofen) is four tablets every six hours. Any more than this is harmful and should be stopped. See your family doctor or gynecologist to find alternatives for the menstral cramps. There are many different options available (and certainly much safer than the excessive advil (ibuprofen) consumption.).