What is blood in the urine?

Hematuria. Blood in the urine is called hematuria. It can be visible or microscopic. It cannot be considered normal without an evaluation be a urologist. Possibilities include cancer, infection, stone, enlarged prostate, urinary blockage and others. Given the complexity inherent with this medical sign and severity of some of the possibilities please bring this to the attention of your doctor.
Many things. Blood in the urine can be visible or invisible. It can mean almost nothing medically to something very very significant such as a cancer. Visible blood can be due to a urinary inveciton called cystitis or from trauma to the lower abdomen and pelvis. Symptoms can be nothing to severe pain. Blood in the urine is a signal that if given, should warrant a visit to your pcp. Don't hesitate.