8 doctors weighed in:

My son may have touched a brown recluse spider. Is it poisonous to touch it if you are not bit?

8 doctors weighed in
Dr. Robert Kwok
Pediatrics
5 doctors agree

In brief: Only if bitten

The brown recluse spider is poisonous only if it bites a person.
The spider eats insects and does not feed on humans. It may bite if startled, scared, or accidentally touched by a person. The bite site will be reddened, swollen, and painful within a few hours. If bitten, one should see his doctor or visit the emergency room for proper treatment.

In brief: Only if bitten

The brown recluse spider is poisonous only if it bites a person.
The spider eats insects and does not feed on humans. It may bite if startled, scared, or accidentally touched by a person. The bite site will be reddened, swollen, and painful within a few hours. If bitten, one should see his doctor or visit the emergency room for proper treatment.
Dr. Robert Kwok
Dr. Robert Kwok
Thank
Dr. Kevin Windisch
Pediatrics
1 doctor agrees

In brief: No

Only the venom of the brown recluse is dangerous.

In brief: No

Only the venom of the brown recluse is dangerous.
Dr. Kevin Windisch
Dr. Kevin Windisch
Thank
Read more answers from doctors