Does horizontal bone loss around tooth always require root canal treatment?

Dr. Ronald Smith
Dentistry

In brief: No

Horizontal bone loss is a periodontal or gum problem. That is not treated with "root canals".
You should see a dentist or periodontist to determine why you are losing bone.

In brief: No

Dr. Ronald Smith
Dr. Ronald Smith
Dr. John Thaler
Dentistry - Prosthodontics

In brief: No

Generally, only if sensitivity is too much to tolerate.
If tooth is vital and intact, without any symptoms, then no need for root canal treatment.

In brief: No

Dr. John Thaler
Dr. John Thaler
Dr. Lynne Brock
Dentistry - Endodontics

In brief: No

Bone loss leading to the need for a root canal can be horizontal or vertical.
However, I have seen many teeth with bone loss that do not require ednodontics. Consult an endodontist for your particular needs.

In brief: No

Dr. Lynne Brock
Dr. Lynne Brock
Dr. R Lee Hinson
Dentistry

In brief: Rare, but can

Happen. I have seen a few periodontal support problems expose uniquely "high cervical" lateral accessory canals in a root and allow bacteria to invade the root canal spaces.
Root canal required and sometimes surg. I have also had patients develop excessive pain/ discomfort from bone loss/root exposure and a root canal can be employed to control the pain. Remember, theses are rare situations.

In brief: Rare, but can

Dr. R Lee Hinson
Dr. R Lee Hinson
Dr. Jane Van Dis