Tooth decay on left lateral incisor. Why?

Out of balance. Tooth decay happens when the acid caused by bacteria overwhelms the mineral structure of the tooth. In other words: the tooth endured more negative hits than it could handle. Teeth are strengthened by good hygiene, good salivary flow, and healthy mineral levels; they are weakened by sugar (which feed bacteria), hygiene insufficiency, or tooth compromise. Talk with your dentist about specifics ;-).
Same old reasons. Tooth decay can occur on any surface of any teeth. The causes are always the same. Lack of care, soda, sweets...
Can be anywhere. Tooth decay can happen anywhere. Decay is caused by bacteria which are naturally occurring in your mouth. When the bacteria are fed sugar, either simple like sweets or complex like bread or sugar, they produce acid which eats into the tooth.
Hygiene and diet. Tooth decay comes from plaque and bacteria (improper/incomplete brushing) and a diet high in carbs and sugars can speed up the process.
Possible anywhere. It is possible for decay to occur on any surface of any tooth. Decay is the result of bacteria in plaque metabolizing sugar in the diet to create acid and subsequent breakdown. Some crowding in that area is not uncommon which may make brushing a bit more difficult. Small chips in that area can also be implicated because they can create food traps which are difficult to keep clean.