Red gums, not swollen but sore. What can I do?

Determine the cause. Your gums are red due to inflammation. The inflammation is most likely coming from bacterial irritation. You mostly likely have gingivitis, but is can also be the more advanced periodontitis. When was your last dental check up and cleaning? If it has been more than six months, it's time to make an appointment for an examination.
PLAQUE. The gum tissue surrounding the teeth is called gingiva. The gingiva is normally pink and stippled. Plaque (sticky bacteria) accumulates around our teeth every day if it is not removed, the body has in inflamatory responce. Have your teeth cleaned by a professional and brush and floss correctly. Seems like you have gingivitis.