I took my daughter to get a sports physical today. The physician noticed a swollen lymph node on her neck.?

Dr. Michael Klein
In brief: Most are fine
Lymph nodes are small organs (many people describe them as swollen "glands").
They work by giving a convenient place for the immune system to interact with invaders such as viruses and bacteria in order to fight them. I think of them as the local "battlefields" of the immune system and the nodes closest to the area swell. Have her see her doctor to make sure it is going away, but it is likely ok.

In brief: Most are fine
Dr. Michael Klein
Dr. Michael Klein
In brief: Usually is benign
Lymph nodes are located throughout the body & generally noticeable in exposed areas like the neck.
They are usually pea sized at rest and enlarged when stimulated by bug bites,dermatitis, drainage or infection. They rarely can become damaged by infection & grow to golf ball size & need drainage or removal. Most enlarge and later shrink back down within a 3 wk cycle unless chronically s

In brief: Usually is benign
Dr. Sari Nabulsi
In brief: Lymph nodes
Swollen lymph nodes is common in children and could be benign condition.
There are certain area where lymph nodes require medical attention, like supra clavicular, spleen or liver enlargement. But lymph node enlargement in the neck, unless it feels hard and attached to underlying structure should not be worrisome.

In brief: Lymph nodes
Dr. Sari Nabulsi
Dr. Sari Nabulsi
Dr. Shontae Buffington