My jaw feels locked most of the time. Could this be possible TMJ syndrome (temporomandibular joint disorder)?

Dr. Howard Spector
Dentistry - Orthodontics

In brief: TMJ Dysfunction

Yes. Your description is certainly relevant to TMJ syndrome or dysfunction.
"locking" of the joint can happen when the cartilaginous disk that rests between the bones that make up this joint becomes displaced, which can make opening your jaw difficult or painful. Currently, there are several different treatment options available. I recommend a consultation with a qualified specialist in TMJ tx.

In brief: TMJ Dysfunction

Dr. Howard Spector
Dr. Howard Spector

In brief: Symptom

Symptoms of tmj/tmd can vary from person to person, severity, location and duration.
It can affect the ears: ringing, aching, roaring, stuffiness, hearing loss; head, facial and neck: headaches, neck and facial pain; locking of the jaw: closed lock- limited opening, open lock- can't close; bite problems: can't touch the teeth, grinding, clenching; toothaches; lose teeth, fatigue, etc.

In brief: Symptom

Dr. Jeffrey Bassman
Dr. Jeffrey Bassman

I would suggest seeing a dentist with training in the field.
See www.Aaop.Org or www.Aacfp.Org for a listing of dentists. If a jaw stays locked for a while it can become permanent.

Dr. John Van der Werff
Dr. John Van der Werff
Dr. Kyle Shank
Dentistry

Sure could be! that said, there is a lot that goes into diagnosing tmd accurately & what needs to be done to treat it.
See your dentist to discuss the situation with them & what can be done to improve things.

Dr. Kyle Shank
Dr. Kyle Shank
Dr. Paul Grin
Pain Management

In brief: Yes, TMJ syndrome

Patients with TMJ syndrome experience pain in the jaw, problems chewing, headache, difficulties opening or closing the mouth because the joint locks in place very often.
If concerned, see your dentist or orthodontist for evaluation.

In brief: Yes, TMJ syndrome

Dr. Paul Grin
Dr. Paul Grin
Dr. Louis Gallia
Surgery - Oral & Maxillofacial

Yes. Sounds like TMD.
See a TMD specialist. Any dentist can be a TMJ expert with the proper training and experience. Most commonly, oral surgeons, prosthodontists, and orofacial pain specialists. Ask your MD, your dentist and your dental society for referrals.

Yes. Sounds like TMD.
Dr. Louis Gallia
Dr. Louis Gallia
Dr. Eric Weisman