Can anyone please explain to me what supraventricular tachycardia (svt) is. My 16 year old is being tested?

Dr. Charles Jost
Internal Medicine - Cardiology

In brief: See Below

Svt: tachycardia means the heart beats faster than normal originating supraventricular, above the ventricles, in the atria caused by abnormal electrical impulses.
Because the heart is not contracting effectively, it may cause lightheadedness, dizzyness or fainting.This arrythmia is usually not dangerous but in a few people it can become dangerous. Your daughter must be assessed by a cardiologist.

In brief: See Below

Dr. Charles Jost
Dr. Charles Jost
Dr. Sari Nabulsi

In brief: SVT

Normally, the heart beat originates from the the eight upper chamber of the heart and goes to both ventricles.
If there an extra beat originates from any other place, it makes the heart to go into overdrive and and cause svt.

In brief: SVT

Dr. Sari Nabulsi
Dr. Sari Nabulsi
Dr. Cindy Juster