What happens if I look at the sun directly without closing my eyes?

Dr. Danny Proffitt
In brief: DON'T DO IT!
You can do severe damage to your retina by directly looking at the sun.
Never ever do this!

In brief: DON'T DO IT!
Never ever do this!
Dr. Danny Proffitt
Dr. Danny Proffitt
Dr. David Speck
Ophthalmology
In brief: Permanent eye damage
You can permanently burn the back of the eye and cause a permanent shadow in the vision.
It's just like starting a fire in a piece of newspaper with a magnifying glass and a sunbeam. Years ago, many of my patients went to medjugorje to witness miracles in the rising sun. I saw at least 20 of them who came back with scarring and reduced vision.

In brief: Permanent eye damage
Dr. David Speck
Dr. David Speck
Dr. Andrew Shatz
Ophthalmology
In brief: Retinal damage
Exposure to intense light such as that from the sun can cause permanent damage to the retina, even when there is a solar eclipse.
The wavelengths of light that we cannot see are even worse for us than the visible ones. This can result in blindspots or even total blindness, depending on the length of exposure. It is for this reason that special techniques and filters are used to look at the sun.

In brief: Retinal damage
Dr. Andrew Shatz
Dr. Andrew Shatz
Dr. Jack Hinkle