How can I tell if I have carpal tunnel?

Phalens Exam. Lift both hands to the level of your head and let the wrists just flop over so that your fingers are pointing towards your ears. Hold this position for 30-60 seconds. If you experience numbness, tinging or pain in your hands this is highly suggestive of carpal tunnel syndrome.
Nerve test. Most common symptoms are numbness, tingling and night pain. Usually thumb index middle and part of the ring finger. An exam with a hand surgeon and a nerve conduction test will confirm the diagnosis and determine the severity.