What causes a sty in your eye, and how do you get rid of it?

Inflammation. A stye is an inflammation of one or more oil glands in the eyelids. Typically, the opening of the gland becomes clogged, causing bacteria and oils to become trapped within the gland. White blood cells enter the gland to remove the bacteria and excess oils, causing an inflamed, swollen gland. Treatment includes hot compresses, antibiotics, and oftentimes, drainage of the stye.
Bacterial infection. This is a bacterial infeciton of the hair follicles of the lashes of the lid. If it is pointing, simply plucking the lash within the pustule may relieve the sty and essentially "lance the boil". Warm compresses help. If this does not resolve or if worse or concern, see your pcp, eye care professional or other medical attention. Antibiotic, orally and topically may be needed and good hygiene.