Why do myopics like me have a greater chance of retinal detachment?

Longer eye. Myopic eyes are usually longer from front to back, so imagine the internal retina as being more stretched and thin and easier to tear and detach.
Thinner Retinas. Myopes have longer eyes and thinner retinas than the rest of the population. They also have a higher rate of weak spots, called lattice degeneration, which can predispose to retinal detachment. You should get checked regularly by a retina specialist .
Shape of the eyeball. In myopia, the shape of the eyeball causes the image you're viewing to be focused in front of the retina, making it easier to see close objects. This shape also causes the retinal to be more tightly stretched across the back of the eye, increasing the chance that it can detach. This is more of a problem in folks who are severely nearsighted.