My wife has a mole on her back that has grown and is now off white crusty. Is this skin cancer?

Time to see your doc. Changes in the appearance of any mole warrants a trip to your friendly dermatologist.
Depends. If you are sure that initially it was a mole (i mean in technical language 'melanocytic lesion'), this sudden change in color is highly worrisome and may represent cancer (melanoma). Mole (non-specific word) includes other causes. Need to be checked by dermatologist with biopsy to confirm depending on the evaluation by dermatologist. Some dermatologists specialize in pigmented lesions.